Monday, June 29, 2009

Nothing beats the smell of homemade bread baking

I'm so amazed at how my sourdough turned out. I was really nervous about the whole process. How can you put flour and water in a bowl and have it turn into the base for a loaf of bread. By day 5 of the process, it started to smell like bread dough, and I was getting excited. Yesterday I took the sourdough starter and followed the recipe for Cheater sourdough bread from Nourishing Traditions. It needs to rise longer than regular bread, so it was 930 until it finally got in the oven, and 1030 until we got our first taste. There is nothing like warm bread straight from the oven, still warm enough for the butter to melt on it. There are few things that I will tweak when I make it again, but it really wasn't that difficult. The bread was moist and cake-y, so I don't think I kneaded it enough, and I could have added more water while making the starter. The directions in the book are kind of vague. She just says to add water until the consistency is soupy. All in all I'm pretty proud of my first attempt at real sourdough bread. Bug and I had cinnamon toast with it this morning. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment