Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Falling Off the Wagon


Its been busy in our house lately and it been hot, and I've been returning to my dear processed foods for quick and easy meals. I'm horrible at planning in advance, and remembering to soak my grains, beans, and rice. We've also been eating out too much again. I have some plans as to how I'm going to get back into the routine and soon we are going to getting raw milk. We found a dairy nearby, and I hope to visit there tomorrow. I also found a new method for bread, that I want to try out.
I thoroughly enjoyed having fresh baked bread all week. The recipe made 3 loaves, and we gave one to our neighbor. With the rest I made cinnamon toast for breakfast, we had some slices with our meals, and I made all time favorite breakfast, eggs in a basket. Delicious, and so much better on home baked bread.
For those of you that don't know how to make an egg in a basket, its simple. First you preheat your pan, non-stick or cast iron, whatever floats your fancy to medium-high. I use a non-stick for now, but have a cast-iron pan that needs some TLC, but that's another post. While your pan is preheating, take a slice of bread and cut a circle in the center. My dad always used a shot glass, but baby bottles are a good diameter as well. Melt a chunk of butter in the pan, about a half tablespoon. Place the piece of bread and circle cut out in the pan. Crack an egg in the center of the piece of bread. Cook until the white starts to get opaque and flip, and cook just until brown. Serve with the toasted circle of bread for dipping. My dad used to take a 2nd piece of bread and make more circles, so I would have extra dipping toast. Yum
The last 1/4 or so of the last loaf was getting hard, so I made croutons out of that. I slice the bread into half inch cubes, and tossed with olive oil until just coated, and added some garlic seasoning mix, then baked at 425 for about 15 minutes, giving them a toss every 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment