Monday, June 22, 2009

First Day

Yesterday I prepared by starting my Sourdough, making Yogurt Cream Cheese, and collecting the whey for soaking, and making Ginger carrots. I also soaked some steel cut oatmeal in water and whey overnight. All of the recipes can be found in Nourishing Traditions (NT).
This morning I heated up the oatmeal that I prepared last night. I was pleasant surprised to find that it smelled wonderful, I was expecting it to smell sour like yogurt. It didn't taste much different than conventionally prepared yogurt, although I am not used to the texture of steel cut oats. Bug must have liked it because she kept asking for more and ate almost half my bowl, and she had already eaten her breakfast. After breakfast I started soaking some brown rice for dinner tonight in water with whey added.
For a snack we had Wasa Toast with the Yogurt Cream Cheese. The cream cheese was a little sour, but no bad. I've made this 3 times now, I found the recipe in another cook book as well, and to think I tossed the nutritious whey before!. The first time I made it it worked fine, the second time it didn't turn out at all, and this time it worked, but the taste is a little off. I may just have to get used to it. Wasa toast was recommended in NT, and I found it on sale at my Supermarket, so I figured I'd try it. The ingredients are pleasantly surprising, and I can see why it was recomended:
Whole grain rye flour sourdough, water, whole grain wheat flour, whole grain out flour, whole grain barley flour, oat kernels, yeast, oat flakes, malt extract,and diglycerides(all natural emulsifiers) salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment